Our whole world begins in our gut. My focus in my holistic health bubble is balancing hormones and you can’t balance hormones without healing the gut. I’ve been obsessed with gut health for the past 1.5-2 years. In this post I’m going to break down the whole Gut + Hormone connection.
Hormones: these chemical messengers control all functions in the body. Created in the endocrine glands (pancreas, pineal, pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, hypothalamus, ovaries, testes, adrenal glands).
Gut: stomach, small intestine, large intestine which is home to ga-billions-zillions of friendly bacteria (gut microbiome) which supports so many functions such as stabilizing blood sugar, fighting off bad bugs, regulating our mood, boosts our metabolism, & supports our ENDOCRINE GLANDS (hormone factory), plus many more aspects of our health. Signs and symptoms of an imbalanced gut microbiome is gas, bloating, acid reflux, diarrhea, or constipation.
To support and feed our gut microbiome we are nourishing each system in our body to encourage optimal functioning. So now to the down and dirty, what to do about our gut health. I’m going to run down my “do’s & avoids” list to better support your gut health.
- Up fiber intake from veggies
- contains essential prebiotics – what probiotics feed on
- Take a daily probiotic for extra boost (favorite here)
- Real, homemade bone broth from grass-fed bones and/or consume a healthy source collagen (Vital Proteins, Bulletproof, or Great Lakes Gelatin)
- Get physical! Move your body in whichever ways feel good.
- Improve sleep, aim for 7-9 hours/night
- Decrease caffeine intake
- 1 cup of coffee/tea before noon is ok
- Eliminate stress -cortisol, the stress hormone, weakens the lining of your gut
- i.e. leaky gut= makes the lining more permeable to pathogens and food particles which increases inflammation
- They have their time and place absolutely, just not for every ache/pain/symptom!
- Processed Foods
- Dairy, gluten, sugars, alcohol, omega 6 oils, soy
- Make the effort to ditch the birth control pill
- the synthetic hormones damage thyroid function, hormone production, & digestion
Let me know any questions or comments you may have on gut health!